Pages

Staring at a blank wall

Saturday, June 12, 2010


What do you see when you stare at a blank wall?

I told my best friend, Iris last week that I was staring at a blank wall. She thought it was great.

Just a couple of weeks ago, whenever I have a few minutes to spare to just sit and gather my thoughts, I always think what I’m about to do (the chores that I need to do, my backyard, my studies..etc), I also think about things I have left behind (my career, my retirement plan, etc..), what I did wrong in the past and what I’m about to do in the future so hopefully I don’t make the same mistake.

When I woke up this morning I decided against on running out in the sun to do some gardening and instead I spent half an hour just staring at a blank wall. I remember I was trying to think about songs, then about the name of the artist and at the same time I was thinking about how great it would be to have a pool in my backyard and how it will increase my property value. Then I started thinking about how much I really wanted the Senior Project Manager position at MLC and how devastated I would be if I didn’t get the job. After that, I started thinking about useless things and then felt like having a chai latte. But then I have another 6 minutes to go. So these 6 minutes took an eternity so I tried to make time run faster. This is when I got distracted and start thinking about well.. nothing. Then, all of a sudden, I realise that 15 minutes of my life have just passed – doing and thinking absolutely nothing.

For me staring at a blank wall is taking time to come in relation with myself to clearly identify what is living in me. By silence, by stopping my rational mind, I give the opportunity to my inner potential, the spiritual forces to help me uncover what is covered, to help me understand what is really happening, to make me make links, to invite the unconscious to manifest itself, let it come, not trying to analyse but for my rational just to grasp the thoughts.

Meditation is actually quite interesting. If you do that every day for only 5 minutes, if you relax and try to calm yourself down by staring at a blank wall, a candle (as my dad would probably suggest) or even a tree (which Iris suggested) and just relax and say to yourself “I can spend 5 minutes of my life in silence” – then you will see how things will improve (I HOPE!). But I really believe that when your unconscious mind goes to your conscious mind somehow you will start having intuitions that once were buried and now you can see.

So: stare to a blank wall and share here what you see.





2 comments:

Paul Maynard said...

I see a blank wall..

Claire said...

I see all the possibilities to create from nowhere… start feeling and enjoying the effect of adrenaline on the creative process… I see a reflecting shape of me trying to discover, create and share something beautiful.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada