Pages

Person & Persona

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The word "Person" comes from "Persona" (latin) and "Persona" meaning mask, a mask that we have to wear sometimes in society. Sometimes we have to be political; we have to use this persona.

Imagine what will the world become if everyone were to leave their persona at home? Everyone will put their thoughts up front, their REAL self outside. Sure there is no mask but is it actually good? Freedom to behave is non existence if you want to strike a balance with peace. If everyone were to behave freely, what will happen to our society? Not all restrictions are bad I believe.

We are stuck back to back. You are yourself when you are with your thoughts but the thing is you are never alone. I think they co-exist, you and your persona. You can’t split them. They balance us I supposed.

If a person is always the same, how can she change? Throwing all the masks away may suit for someone with a strong sense of destiny.

Masks allow us to explore unknown areas, seek contact with different types of people and experiment with our skills. Masks know people who could never interact with each other but for the owner of the masks they all are important.

I am weak and ignorant, hence I need the masks to become stronger.

The mask I wear is one of confidence. I’ve applied the mask so well, it appears I’m no longer putting on an act to survive in the play of life, however, when alone, the mask comes off and I experience the dark side of insecurities and uncertainties. I wear the mask to adapt to what society accepts of me (in the corporate world). I wear this mask to be accepted (in my family).

Slowly but surely I peel away the mask when I feel it’s safe to reveal parts of my true self without fear of being rejected. So my mask is yes an illusion even to me. A defence mechanism of sorts.

I don’t actually always know who I am. I have to admit that my own reactions to certain things surprise me. I think sometimes you don’t know until you are put in certain circumstances.

Times when I may wear a mask is when I used to go into work and not like particular people but had to get along with them otherwise possibly lose my job, acting like everything is okay when I’m angry or hurt – for the sake of peace. Sometimes you just need to put on a mask. You can’t always show your true feelings. Being polite to people who I’d like to say a thing or two to but refraining so as not to hurt another loved one.

Anyway that’s how I feel. To survive, one has to wear a mask. Not necessarily to hide the real self but to live peacefully in the society. These masks give us the freedom to act in certain way which we can’t so without.

The question is: Who are you? Who is your persona? Who do you think you are and what you are forced to do to behave so you can survive in the society.











0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada