Pages

Is there anything wrong being nostalgic?

Monday, July 5, 2010


I don't think there is anything wrong being nostalgic. Every now and then I love going nostalgic. I often remember the times when I was happy (sometimes the sadder moments). I like analysing my past faults as well as my achievements. Remembering them gives me a lot of strength.

According to Wikipedia, nostalgic is defined as a yearning for the past, often in idealized form. Nostalgia is often triggered by something reminding the individual of an event or item from their past. The resulting emotion can vary from happiness to sorrow. The term of "feeling nostalgic" is more commonly used to describe pleasurable emotions associated with and/or a longing to go back to a particular period of time.

Nostalgia is comprised of several mixed emotions! We cry, we smile, and we cherish our past moments. We cry remembering the unfortunate or bad moments we have passed through; we cry even remembering the extreme joyous, buoyant moments of our past life. Some live in past, some go ahead in life keeping nostalgic moments in the deepest core of their heart. Even hard-nosed, pragmatic persons can’t help remembering their past moments of love, joy or celebration. Nostalgic moments and moods are indispensable in everyone’s life unless one is suffering from amnesia!

Honestly, I think we should all take time off to remember the small happy moments. We are always in a hurry today, running around ignoring the wonderfu things in life. 

Something I too don’t understand. It seems so much these days we hear how we aren’t supposed to be nostalgic because it means we are living in the past instead of the present and that we are “attached” to times long past. I don’t understand this. I’m still living here and now. Visiting with the past to me isn’t something “wrong”, even when I visit some of the sadder places. Which sort of brings me to an interesting thought…it seems to me more and more people are trying so hard to find ways not to feel…even if you were feeling kind of sad in your nostalgia over the week, what’s wrong with that?

Anyway this my thoughts, let me know what you think - do you think there's anything wrong being nostalgic?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the say ”your home is wherever ur heart is”…I have a permanent nostalgia for one place where i used to spend the summers during my childhood , I feel it’s the most beautifull place on earth (maybe half of it its true,but the other half is coz my roots belong there :-) )
I can talk about my nostalgic moments for very long…but anyway i think all of us share more or less the same opinion on this subject…

Claire said...

When I hear the word ”nostalgia” the first thing i remember is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79esEAO7kk

For someone to create a so breathtaking music and name it ”nostalgia” he must live it as a gift.

Being nostalgic for me is a gift…if you have nothing to be nostalgic for – u have lived ‘nothing’.

If i have to describe the feeling with simple words, i would say it’s ”happy-sad” .

To be honest, this is the first time i write to this blog, and first time i open it i see ”nostalgia”…something that i am living right now…and the past days.

I am very connected to this track, it’s a part of me and someone that has recently gone from my life, someone who is the reason for my nostalgic mood right now.

Is this only a ‘mind game’ or it’s some kind of a sign?! ( I guess i will keep on wondering.)

Anonymous said...

сontіnuously i useԁ to гead smaller postѕ that
also cleаr theiг motivе, and thаt iѕ also hаppenіng with this ρiece of writing whiсh
I am readіng at thіs рlace.

my websіte; seo jobs lancaster

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada