Pages

Valentine Dinner - Capital Grill @ Circular Quay

Thursday, February 16, 2012

My husband surprised me *wink* *wink* with dinner reservations to Capital Grill in Circular Quay. I was so excited to finally get back there. He told me days before that he made reservations but only revealed where the night before.

I didn't really dress up for the occassion and basically wore what I worn to work. The restaurant ambiance and decor is beautiful and great views. Romatic and intimate atmosphere upstairs where we dined.

When we arrived I was quite surprised that they were only offereing special Valentine Day menu. Personally I think restaurants should call these "special menus" "let's charge you twice as much for our food because it's a hallmark holiday". Obviously you can hear my frustrating building up as I write this review.

All the meals were good, but not amazing especially considering we spent close to $200 without any wine.

We started with entree. I had Sydney Rock Oysters and John had the Crisp Skin Pork Belly, Celeriac Purree with Apple Cider. I am a big fan of oysters so I devoured all of them in a second. I think the secret to really enjoying oysters is getting the technique of piercing them with your teeth to release the briny flavour and then bringing them forward in the mouth with your tounge so that you can swallow smoothly in one go. That's how I do it.



For main, I had Roasted Organic Chicken with Baby Turnips, Dutch Carrots and Eshallots which I really enjoyed. While the meat was very tender, I found that the dish was quite plain and the skin was chewy, not crispy.

John as usual had his slab of meat - Tenderloin Pasture Fed Reverina with Potato Gratin and Sauteed Mushrooms. This was no ordinary steak - I had a bite and it was cooked to perfection - it was just so tasty! We also ordered Steamed Vegetables as a side.  

We were full by the time our dessert was served. I had the biggest portion of Chocolate Mousse every known to mankind. We finished it all regardless of our full stomach.

Wait staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was very presented and tasty. We also enjoyed the glasses of Champagne each.  
I have to say it was a really nice and relaxing Valentine's Day meal. We didn't have to pay too much or fight the crowds and best of all, we took our time eating our meal and enjoyed each other's company in the comfort of a beautiful, classy setting.  


Appetizer, main course, side dishes, desert and a giant monkey named Opa. Everything was fantastic! Thank you baby!
 
After the dinner, we took a cab home and got home to do our own errands. You can probably guess how long we've been maried. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada